Houston, TX asked in Uncategorized for Texas

Q: There was no problem with him owning ATV.she gave it away out of spite for not living with her

Is it a crime?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It is not a crime for a person to give away an ATV they own.

It may be a crime for a person to give away an ATV someone else owns/

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If someone gives away property that does not belong to them, out of spite or for any other reason, it could potentially be considered a crime, such as theft or conversion. The key issue is ownership of the ATV at the time it was given away. If the ATV legally belonged to the person from whom it was taken, then the act of giving it away without permission could be subject to criminal charges and/or civil action.

In situations like this, the affected party has the option to report the incident to the police for a criminal investigation. Additionally, they may pursue a civil lawsuit to recover the property or obtain compensation for its value.

It's important to gather all relevant evidence, such as proof of ownership, any communication regarding the dispute, and witnesses, if available. Consulting with an attorney can provide guidance on the best course of action, help in understanding the legal options available, and represent the affected party in legal proceedings to protect their rights and interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.