Houston, TX asked in Uncategorized for Texas

Q: We are the grandparents.we bought grandson an ATV for his birthday.parents divorced.lives with son.mother gave ATV.

Can she do that legally? Theft?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: The legality of the mother's actions in giving away the ATV depends on the ownership and intent behind the gift. If the ATV was given to your grandson as a gift, and he is considered the legal owner, then typically, only he or his legal guardians (depending on his age) would have the authority to decide what happens to it.

Since the ATV was a gift to your grandson, if the mother acted without the consent of the legal guardians or the owner's (your grandson's) permission, this could potentially be considered unauthorized and wrongful. However, the situation might be complicated by custody arrangements and parental rights, especially if the parents are divorced and share custody.

If you believe the ATV was given away improperly and wish to contest the action, it might be beneficial to discuss the matter with a legal professional. They can offer advice based on the specifics of your situation, including the ownership of the ATV, the rights of the parents or legal guardians, and the best course of action to address your concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.