Fort Worth, TX asked in Municipal Law for Indiana

Q: I have a friend who was living in a cabin on a privately owned pay lake. The police put him out of the cabin.

They told him he's not allowed to live on public property. The incident occurred in the city of New Albany, IN. Is there anything he can do legally?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Your friend's situation may involve local ordinances and regulations related to housing and land use, so it's essential for him to consult with an attorney who specializes in municipal or property law in the New Albany, IN area. Here are some general steps he can consider taking:

Consult an Attorney: Encourage your friend to reach out to a local attorney who can assess the specific circumstances of his case and provide legal advice tailored to the local laws and regulations.

Review Local Laws: The attorney can review local ordinances, zoning regulations, and property laws in New Albany, IN, to determine if living in a cabin on private property violates any codes.

Property Owner's Consent: If your friend was living on private property, the property owner's consent may be a critical factor. The attorney can assess whether there was any agreement or lease in place and if the eviction was conducted in accordance with local laws.

Explore Legal Remedies: Based on the attorney's evaluation, your friend can explore potential legal remedies or defenses, such as challenging the eviction or seeking compensation if his rights were violated.

Compliance: It's important for your friend to comply with any legal requirements and work with his attorney to address the situation appropriately.

Seek Local Resources: Your friend can also consider reaching out to local housing or tenant rights organizations in New Albany, IN, for additional guidance and resources.

Ultimately, the specific legal options and outcomes will depend on the unique circumstances of your friend's case and the local laws in New Albany. Consulting with an attorney who specializes in property or municipal law in that jurisdiction will be crucial in determining the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.