Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Indiana Municipal Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: What are the dates a landlord must provide heat ?

I was told by my towns code enforcement that from oct til may 1st you must supply heat. Thank you for response

Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Apr 2, 2018

There must be an adequate supply of heat for rental properties at all time in Indiana. Essentially, this means year round.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: East side of Indianapolis,IN. Police refuse to charge or arrest. Can i demand the police to perform a citizens arrest?

Live on East side guetto of Indy but my husband i are proffesionals with no criminal record. Proud gun owners with license to carry. Earlier this year a guy(age 24) and 2 kids broke into the 3rd house down from mine. I witnessed the crime. Reported it. They came out and spoke to the 3 criminals and... Read more »

Andrew L. Bennett answered on Dec 27, 2017

Your options are to ask to speak to the supervisors of the officers or the chief of police. Another option would be to contact the prosecutors office and schedule an appointment to speak with a prosecutor. Have you also contacted the local media?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: If I own my home can the town I live in make me pay a yearly fee for owning a dog?

Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on May 25, 2017

A local government can require animal owners to register their animals with the local government and a fee can be charged in relation to registration.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: How can a town board pass an ordinance legally to prohibit riding an orv or atv on your own property?

All noise ordinances are being followed. Only riding on property we own. Claypool Indiana. Kosciusko County.

Paul Stanko answered on Sep 23, 2016

Very good question! While there is a presumption of legality of local ordinances, there may be an overreach here. Have an attorney review the ordinance to see if there is a constitutional violation.

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: My boy wants to have a live show for his rock band in my backyard, can he?Terre haute indiana

Paul Stanko answered on Sep 19, 2016

A lot depends on the size of your backyard. You should probably review local ordinances on noise, parking, etc. Your municipality or political subdivision will have ordinances on file. If you have any concerns, contact an attorney, or perhaps even your zoning board.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: Do i have right to work my race car even has no mufflers?

My neighbor call police about the sound of it because no muffler on it and they told me i cant work on it do i still have right to during day time hours?

Terrence Rubino answered on Jul 25, 2011

you must obey the noise ordinance of the town you live in.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: Can a school district force parents to rent laptops @ 250 per year for 4 years, at which time the student keeps the lapt

Terrence Rubino answered on Jul 25, 2011

it sounds like a question involving the recent controversy at munster indiana hs. there are valid points on both sides but ultimately it is up to the school board to decide. a legal challenge is academic at this point because the board has apparently retreated from the proposal. this shows that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: Some towns have codes claiming a pigeon is a fowl. So is a pigeon considered a fowl?

Burton A. Padove answered on Jul 21, 2011

In those towns they are. As far as I know, in all other towns too.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law for Indiana on

Q: Are new fences required to be placed 5 ft. from property line or can they be placed on property line?

Michael E. Polen Jr. answered on Jun 30, 2011

This is likely governed by a local ordinance. Given that every municipality is different, there is no easy answer. You will have to check with the local authority. A permit may also be required depending on the local ordinance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.