Orlando, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: How can I find land abandoned by my grandmother ?

My great grandfather was a famous architect who gave 13 acres to my grandfather who placed this land into my grandmothers name in which she abandoned after a family tragedy struck where her son (my uncle) murdered her husband my grandfather, she then moved to hoconuco alto and remained there until her death. Trying to see if that land can be located ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: You should start with the names of your great grandfather, the architect, your grandfather, and your grandmother, in two fronts: through the CRIM's digital cadaster, searching by their names. If you find the cadaster #, then proceed to the Property Registry. An agent ("gestor", in Spanish) can search the Registry volumes with this information to identify the land's plot ("finca") number. Having a copy of a deed or an old registry certification helps, as well as the land's physical address. The more information that you can procure increases the odds of identifying the real estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.