Opelousas, LA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I divorce my husband I have 2 kids with for free and how long would it take if I give up rights to kids

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Louisiana, obtaining a divorce, even with the intention of relinquishing rights to children, may not be entirely free due to court fees and possible attorney costs. However, low-income individuals might qualify for a fee waiver or reduced-cost legal services through legal aid organizations. The duration of the divorce process can vary, often depending on whether it's contested or uncontested. An uncontested divorce, where both parties agree on major issues, including custody, can be quicker, potentially finalized in a few months. Giving up parental rights does not necessarily expedite the divorce process and is a separate legal matter that the court considers seriously, prioritizing the children's best interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.