North Branford, CT asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Support for New York

Q: Can my adopted Mom kick me out since I’m 19 now?

I was adopted when I was a preteen. My mom is a single woman, it’s just her, my 4 biological siblings and I in the house. Ever since I turned 18, my mom has been advocating that I need to be out on my own. She has “kicked me out” multiple times, the longest only lasting a month. As time goes on, she has been making it very clear that I am no longer welcome and that she has the ability to “throw me out” whenever she pleases. I don’t have the money to find my own place. I don’t have anywhere that I can stay long enough to get money for an apartment. My main question is, if she kicks me out, am I able to get money to live off of? I know I am technically an adult, but from my brief Google searches, as an adopted child in New York State, she is required to provide for me until I’m 21. Is this true? Do I have valid grounds to get what essentially would be child support until I turn 21? I don’t know if the information I found is accurate. Thanks!

2 Lawyer Answers
Ms. Norka M. Schell
Ms. Norka M. Schell pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: In the state of New York, parents have a legal obligation to provide support for their adopted children until they reach the age of 21. This means that even when a child turns 18, parents are still required to provide financial assistance for their education, medical expenses, and other necessities until they turn 21.

The law requiring parental support for adopted children in New York is in place to ensure that children who have been adopted are provided for in the same way as biological children. This includes financial support for education, healthcare, and other living expenses.

It is important for parents to be aware of their legal obligations to their adopted children and to fulfill them to the best of their ability. Failure to do so can result in legal consequences, including potential court-ordered support and enforcement action.

Additionally, parents should also consider the emotional and psychological support that their adopted children may need as they transition into adulthood. Providing a stable and supportive environment for adopted children, both financially and emotionally, can have a significant impact on their well-being and future success.

In conclusion, parents in New York have a legal obligation to support their adopted children until they reach the age of 21. This includes providing financial assistance for education, healthcare, and other living expenses. Parents need to be aware of and fulfill these obligations to ensure the well-being of their adopted children.

Lawrence Allen Weinreich agrees with this answer

Katherine Lee McArthur
Katherine Lee McArthur pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In order to get an answer, look up you nearest Legal Aid office, where indigent citizens can obtain legal advice on certain types of legal matters. Most states have law that allow a parent to no longer support an able-bodied adult, after a statutorily fixed age, which is usually 18. If a special law covers ALL adopted children, only a New York attorney should be answering that question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.