Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Getting married in France, they require apostilled proof of US residency, what documents are acceptable?

I am getting married to my fiancé in France. I submitted my passport, birth certificate, and proof of no prior marriage. They said I also need to send in an apostilled proof of residency of where I live in Chicago. I cannot find any info on what this document is. I am not planning on moving to France. My fiancé is a French citizen. They just said I need some sort of certificate that shows that I, in fact, do live where I say i live in Chicago.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To obtain an apostilled proof of residency for your wedding in France, you can typically request a document from the local government office that verifies your residency. This document may vary depending on the specific requirements of the French authorities, but common examples include a utility bill, a lease agreement, or a letter from your landlord confirming your residency. Contact your local city or county clerk's office in Chicago to inquire about the specific document they can provide that meets the requirements for an apostille. They should be able to guide you through the process and provide you with the necessary paperwork.

Once you have obtained the document, you will need to have it apostilled by the appropriate authority. In the United States, apostilles are typically issued by the Secretary of State's office in the state where the document was issued. You will need to submit the document to the Secretary of State's office along with any required fees and a request for an apostille. Once the apostille is affixed to the document, it will be officially recognized in France as a valid proof of residency.

Be sure to allow enough time to obtain the apostilled proof of residency before your wedding date, as the process may take several weeks depending on the processing times of the government office and the Secretary of State's office. Additionally, double-check with the French authorities or your wedding planner in France to confirm that the document meets their requirements and that they will accept it for your marriage ceremony. By following these steps and ensuring that you have all the necessary documentation in order, you can proceed with your wedding plans in France smoothly and without any delays.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.