Washington, DC asked in Tax Law for Virginia

Q: How can I hold the state responsible for causing a hardship with a tax levy.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're facing hardship due to a tax levy imposed by the state, there are steps you can take to address this issue. First, it's crucial to communicate directly with the state tax agency that issued the levy. Explain your situation and provide evidence of the hardship the levy is causing. Many states, including Virginia, offer programs or arrangements for taxpayers in difficult situations, such as payment plans or hardship status, which can temporarily halt collection efforts.

Additionally, you might consider filing an appeal if you believe the levy was issued in error or without consideration of your financial situation. Look into the specific procedures for appealing tax decisions in Virginia, as there are likely deadlines and specific forms you need to use. This process allows you to formally contest the levy and present your case for relief or adjustment.

Seeking advice from a professional experienced in tax law can also be beneficial. They can offer guidance tailored to your situation, help navigate the complexities of tax laws, and represent your interests in discussions or negotiations with the tax agency. While this situation is undoubtedly challenging, taking proactive steps and utilizing available resources can help you find a resolution and mitigate the impact of the levy on your financial well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.