Asked in Divorce and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: My divorce hearing is 2/23/2024 and my pregnancy due date is 6/15/2024. Can I put my boyfriend on the birth certificate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In South Carolina, if your divorce is not finalized by the time of your child's birth, your husband is presumed to be the legal father of the child due to the marriage. This presumption can complicate putting your boyfriend's name on the birth certificate at the time of birth. However, you can take legal steps to establish paternity for your boyfriend, such as through a paternity action in court, which may include DNA testing. Once paternity is established, it is possible to have your boyfriend legally recognized as the father and his name added to the birth certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.