Modesto, CA asked in Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for California

Q: Could I make a deal to be paid by the. Police for buying drugs with marked, ,tracked, or fake money they provide me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: No, you cannot legally make a deal with the police to be paid for buying drugs, even with marked, tracked, or fake money they provide. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Entrapment Laws: Paying an individual to purchase illegal drugs likely constitutes entrapment under California law. Entrapment occurs when law enforcement uses persuasion or incentives to induce someone into criminal activity they would not otherwise commit. Being paid to buy drugs could be viewed as improper inducement.

2. Violation of Police Procedures: Police departments have strict rules around paying informants or cooperating witnesses. Paying someone to directly engage in illegal drug purchases would go against standard procedures.

3. Complicity in Drug Offenses: If you purchase illegal drugs on behalf of police, you could still face criminal conspiracy or accomplice liability charges related to facilitating a drug crime, even if working with law enforcement.

4. Risk of Harm: Paying an untrained individual to participate in undercover drug stings creates risks both for that person and the integrity of any resulting cases. This goes against responsible police practice.

So in summary - there is no legal way for the police to hire or pay you to buy illegal drugs, even with marked money and their direction. Doing so could qualify as entrapment, violate police procedures, and create undue risks.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.