Kansas City, MO asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Civil Rights and Family Law for Missouri

Q: My friend who is 17 has been living with her mom. Her mom told us she could live with me. Then her grandpa takes her

Her grandparents have custody but yet have not said anything tell she got back into Missouri then comes over and just yells through my door that she needs to go with them or else. We don’t know what to do but she is not mentally stable there and hates living with them. Her mom gave her promotion to move out.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In situations where there's a dispute over the custody or living arrangements of a minor, the legal custody order takes precedence. If the grandparents have legal custody of your friend, they generally have the right to decide where she lives until she reaches the age of majority, which is 18 in most states. The mother's permission for your friend to live with you might not hold legal weight if she does not have custodial rights.

It's important for your friend to communicate her feelings and the reasons she believes living with her grandparents is not in her best interest. However, such discussions should ideally be approached in a calm and respectful manner, possibly with the assistance of a neutral third party who can mediate. If your friend is facing serious issues regarding her mental health or well-being, it may be necessary to seek the intervention of child protective services or a legal professional who can advise on the best course of action.

Considering the complexities involved, especially with the legal aspect of custody, your friend might benefit from speaking to a counselor or a legal advocate who can provide guidance specific to her situation. They can help navigate the legal system and advocate for her best interests, potentially exploring options like requesting a change in custody if it can be proven that her current living situation is detrimental to her well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.