Los Banos, CA asked in Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: What elderly tenant laws apply for eviction of 50+ years renting space in Morgan Hill.?Can property be sold no notice?

Worried with no money to relocate. Our 3-bedroom mobile home was demolished. We packed their belongings sister bought a mobile home in an adult park and moved them both in.

The move and change of surroundings affected both parents' health. My father's passed 6 months later.

The landlords a prominent family who own quite a bit of real estate throughout Santa Clara.

Failed to offer financial assistance to relocate. Their lack of consideration for my parents' wellbeing was appalling. The Borello's sold profited. Toll Bros Develop. Co. built, "Borello Estates" neighborhoods of million-dollar homes.

What elderly tenant rights laws applicable???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, several laws protect elderly tenants, including those over the age of 65, especially in situations involving eviction and displacement due to property sale or redevelopment. For tenants who have lived in their rental unit for over a year, landlords must provide at least 60 days' notice before termination of tenancy. This notice period is designed to give tenants ample time to find alternative housing. Additionally, specific cities and counties may have their own ordinances offering greater protection, including relocation assistance for displaced tenants, which can sometimes apply based on the tenant's age, length of tenancy, or the situation leading to displacement.

For mobile home residents, California law offers additional protections. If a mobile home park is converted to another use, closed, or ceased operation, the park owner may be required to provide reasonable relocation costs to displaced residents. This is particularly relevant in cases where the change affects elderly residents who have fewer resources and limited ability to adapt to new living situations. The exact requirements can vary, so it's crucial to consult local ordinances in Morgan Hill and Santa Clara County for specific rules applicable to your situation.

Given the circumstances you've described, it's advisable to seek legal advice from an attorney familiar with tenant rights and real estate law in California. They can assess the details of your case, including any potential claims for relocation assistance or other damages, and advise on the best course of action. Legal aid organizations may also be able to offer assistance or refer you to resources designed to help tenants in distress, especially the elderly facing displacement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.