Las Vegas, NV asked in Civil Litigation and Securities Law for Nevada

Q: Hello, just want to find out if i can use small claims court to recover stock losses due to fraudulent public statements

made by CEO of company. Will small claims hear this type of case? Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In most cases, small claims courts are designed to handle disputes involving relatively small amounts of money. Claims related to stock losses due to fraudulent public statements made by a CEO of a company might involve complex legal issues and substantial financial damages, which may exceed the jurisdictional limits of small claims court. However, the specific rules and limitations regarding the types of cases that can be heard in small claims court vary depending on your jurisdiction.

It's advisable to consult with a legal advisor or attorney who can provide guidance on the appropriate course of action based on the specifics of your situation and the laws governing your jurisdiction. They can help you understand the available legal remedies and determine whether pursuing your claim through small claims court is feasible or if other avenues, such as civil litigation or regulatory complaints, may be more appropriate.

Regardless of the venue you choose to pursue your claim, gathering evidence to support your case will be crucial. This may include documentation of the fraudulent statements made by the CEO, financial records showing your stock losses, and any correspondence or communications related to the matter. With the guidance of legal professionals, you can explore your options for seeking redress for your losses and holding those responsible for the fraudulent statements accountable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.