Scottsbluff, NE asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Nebraska

Q: 3 years ago my father in law bought my husband and I a house we agreed to pay it back over 3 years

Fast forward 3 years we paid it off with him on time and he is refusing to give us the deed and hold up his side of the deal he is trying to kick us out and take our house. What can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In your situation, it's important to gather all documentation related to the agreement you had with your father-in-law, including any written contracts, receipts of payments made, and correspondence discussing the terms of repayment and transfer of the deed. This evidence will be crucial in proving your case and asserting your rights. Additionally, you may want to consider seeking legal advice from an attorney who specializes in real estate law to understand your legal options and determine the best course of action.

If your father-in-law is refusing to honor the agreement and transfer the deed to the property despite fulfilling your obligations under the repayment plan, you may need to pursue legal action to enforce your rights. This could involve filing a lawsuit against your father-in-law for breach of contract and seeking a court order to compel him to transfer the deed as agreed. Your attorney can help guide you through the legal process and represent your interests in court.

It's important to act promptly and assertively in addressing this situation to protect your ownership rights to the property. By seeking legal assistance and taking appropriate legal action, you can work towards resolving the dispute and securing the deed to the house that you rightfully paid for. Remember to maintain clear and open communication with your father-in-law throughout the process, but also be prepared to assert your rights legally if necessary to protect your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.