Kansas City, MO asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: I removed my name from my child's birth certificate with a recission of paternity form. I wish to have it placed back.

I have court admissible DNA test results. And I and the mother both agree she is my child. What form do I need to turn in to the courts to open a case in which I establish paternity and can have my name put on the birth certificate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Arkansas, to have your name placed back on your child's birth certificate after a rescission of paternity, you will need to establish paternity through the court. This typically involves filing a petition for the establishment of paternity in the appropriate family court. Since both you and the child's mother agree on paternity and you have court-admissible DNA test results to support your claim, the process might be straightforward. Along with your petition, you should submit the DNA test results and any other relevant documentation. Once paternity is legally established, the court will issue an order to amend the birth certificate, which you then submit to the Arkansas Department of Health, Vital Records Section, to have your name added.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.