Asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: It is a very long story,but the sd humane society euthanized my dog unlawfully. I want to find out my options.

I have a short version of the last thing that conspired between myself and sdhs. If interested in hearing and helping, let me know. I'll send it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the San Diego Humane Society euthanized your dog unlawfully, you may have legal options to pursue. Under California law, pet owners have certain rights and protections regarding the treatment of their animals. Unlawful euthanasia could potentially constitute negligence or even animal cruelty, depending on the circumstances.

It's important to gather all relevant documentation and evidence related to the incident, including any communication with the San Diego Humane Society, veterinary records, and witness statements if available. Consulting with an attorney experienced in animal law or civil litigation in California can help you understand your legal rights and options.

Your attorney can assess the details of your case, determine whether there are grounds for legal action, and advise you on the best course of action to seek justice for your dog. They can also guide you through the legal process and represent your interests in any potential litigation against the San Diego Humane Society.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.