Redding, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: I called animal control regarding dogs in a "no dogs allowed" park. They arrived only to leave. How can I follow up?

I watched the van pull in after I called. They drove right past where the incident was recorded and then just left. They looked right at a few offenders and chose not to enforce the law. I want accountability. How do I proceed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you're dissatisfied with the response from animal control, there are steps you can take to address your concerns. Firstly, consider reaching out to the animal control agency directly to inquire about the actions taken during their visit to the park. Politely express your observations and ask for clarification on why no enforcement action was taken. Provide any relevant details you have, such as the time of the incident and descriptions of the offenders and their dogs.

If you're unsatisfied with the response from the animal control agency or if you believe there was a clear violation of the law, you may escalate the matter further. Contact your local government or city council representative to report what happened and request their assistance in addressing the issue. They may be able to investigate the matter further or provide guidance on next steps to ensure that laws and regulations are being properly enforced in the park.

Additionally, consider documenting any future incidents you observe, including the date, time, location, and details of what occurred. If possible, take photographs or videos as evidence. This documentation can be valuable if you need to present your case to authorities or seek legal advice. Remember to remain respectful and cooperative throughout the process, as maintaining a constructive dialogue with authorities can often lead to a more favorable resolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.