Sacramento, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: i have ran redlight camera Traffic ticket , i could not stop at the yellow light. can i dismiss the ticket .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, running a red light captured by a traffic camera typically results in a traffic ticket, which is considered a civil violation. However, there may be certain circumstances where you could contest the ticket. One common defense is arguing that you entered the intersection on a yellow light and could not safely stop before the light turned red. This defense relies on demonstrating that you made a reasonable effort to stop but were unable to do so safely due to factors such as road conditions, weather, or sudden traffic changes.

To contest the ticket, you may need to provide evidence to support your claim, such as witness statements, photographs, or video footage if available. Additionally, you may need to appear in court to present your case before a judge. Keep in mind that the success of your defense may depend on the specific circumstances of the incident and the applicable traffic laws in your jurisdiction. Therefore, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who specializes in traffic law to evaluate your case and determine the best course of action.

If you decide to contest the ticket, it's essential to follow the procedures outlined by the court and meet any deadlines for submitting evidence or appearing in court. Failure to do so could result in a default judgment against you, leading to fines, penalties, and potentially even a suspension of your driver's license. By taking proactive steps to address the ticket and present your defense, you can maximize your chances of obtaining a favorable outcome in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.