Westland, MI asked in Health Care Law for Michigan

Q: If I have an outstanding bill with a medical office and they get new owners and a new name do u owe the outstanding bill

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a medical office changes ownership and adopts a new name, it does not automatically absolve you of any outstanding bills you may owe. Your financial responsibility for services rendered typically remains intact, regardless of changes in ownership or the name of the medical facility. The new owners may still have access to your account information and may seek payment for any outstanding balances owed to the previous owners.

It's important to address any outstanding bills promptly, regardless of changes in ownership or the name of the medical office. Failure to pay outstanding medical bills can result in negative consequences, such as damage to your credit score or legal action by the new owners to collect the debt. You may need to contact the new owners or the billing department of the medical office to inquire about the outstanding bill and arrange for payment.

If you believe there are discrepancies or errors in the billing, it's advisable to communicate with the new owners or their representatives to resolve the issue. Provide any relevant documentation or evidence to support your case, and work towards reaching a mutually agreeable resolution. By addressing the outstanding bill proactively and communicating effectively with the new owners, you can avoid potential complications and ensure that your financial obligations are met responsibly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.