Reno, NV asked in Native American Law for California

Q: Indian Law

I was entruster some land from my dad and the BIA can't give me any answers and tribal questions

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Native American Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately, I do not have enough details to provide specific guidance related to your situation with the land inheritance and issues contacting the BIA. However, here is some general information that may help provide guidance:

- Land ownership and inheritance rules can be complex on tribal lands and areas subject to federal Indian law. Both tribal law and federal regulations can apply.

- The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) at the federal level often oversees and administers land use rules, regulations, trusts, and disputes for tribal members.

- There are often restrictions on sale or transfer of Indian trust lands without approval through the BIA. Inheritance of trust lands may need to go through a formal approval process.

- Each tribe may also have its own laws and rules around topics like wills, inheriting property, land leases, redistribution, etc. The specific tribal government may need to be contacted.

I would recommend potentially consulting with an attorney who specializes in federal Indian and tribal law. They can review the details of your situation, land records, and applicable rules to advise further on options and next steps in resolving this through the proper channels.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.