Sugar Grove, IL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Illinois

Q: My brother died homeless in MI, without a Will. What MI papers do I file with IL unclaimed property to collect as heir.

The deceased never collected the Annuity left to him by our Mother. It was sent to IL Unclaimed Cash.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To claim the annuity left by your mother to your deceased brother, who died intestate (without a Will) and homeless in Michigan, as an heir through the Illinois unclaimed property, you will likely need to obtain a declaration of heirship or a similar court order from Michigan proving your status as a legal heir. You may also need a death certificate for your brother. Illinois unclaimed property laws will require proof that you are entitled to the annuity, which may involve filing an affidavit of heirship and possibly providing documentation that no probate estate has been opened for your brother in Michigan or that you have been appointed as the personal representative of his estate if required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.