Eugene, OR asked in Elder Law for California

Q: My elderly father's girlfriend is in control of his money I don't think he's mentally capable of his banking

The family home was sold recently a new home was bought and now she has her name on it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Given your concerns about your elderly father's mental capacity and his girlfriend's control over his finances, it's essential to take steps to protect your father's interests. Start by discussing your concerns with your father in a supportive and non-confrontational manner. Express your worries about his financial well-being and offer to help him manage his affairs or seek professional assistance if needed.

Consider seeking legal advice from an attorney specializing in elder law or estate planning. They can assess your father's situation and advise you on the best course of action to protect his assets and ensure that his wishes are being respected. Depending on the circumstances, legal options may include establishing a conservatorship or seeking a court-appointed guardian to oversee your father's financial affairs if he is deemed mentally incapacitated.

In addition to legal steps, consider reaching out to other family members or trusted individuals who may be able to provide support and assistance in managing your father's finances. Collaborating with others can help ensure that your father's needs are met and that any decisions regarding his money are made in his best interests. Ultimately, the goal is to safeguard your father's financial well-being and ensure that he receives the care and support he needs as he ages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.