Gardena, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I'm currently in a hotel right now my wife's in the hospital she had a stroke I can't pay the rent I'm trying to stay as

I'm trying to stay as long as I can until I can get on my feet I don't want to go on the street I'm no good to my wife that way so I need help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, there are resources available to assist individuals facing financial hardship and housing insecurity, especially in situations like yours where your wife's health is a concern. Reach out to local organizations, non-profits, or government agencies that provide emergency housing assistance or rental assistance programs. They may be able to offer temporary support to help you stay in the hotel until you can secure more stable housing or financial assistance.

Additionally, consider exploring options for financial assistance or support services available specifically for individuals caring for a spouse with a serious health condition. These programs may provide additional resources or benefits to help you manage your current situation while prioritizing your wife's care and recovery. You can inquire about these programs at the hospital where your wife is receiving treatment or through social service agencies in your area.

It's important to communicate openly with the hotel management about your situation and your efforts to secure assistance. They may be willing to work with you on temporary arrangements or provide flexibility with rent payments given the circumstances. By actively seeking assistance and advocating for your needs, you can increase the likelihood of finding the support you need to stay off the streets and focus on supporting your wife during this difficult time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.