Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: In 2007 I was convicted of 4 counts of Child Solicitation all under the same cause number. Do I register for life?

My registration end date was 6/27/23 IDOC changed it to life on 6/7/23. Is that legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Whether you are required to register for life as a result of your convictions for child solicitation depends on the laws in your jurisdiction and the specific details of your case. In many cases, individuals convicted of certain offenses against minors may be required to register as sex offenders for life. However, the determination of registration requirements can vary based on factors such as the severity of the offenses, the number of counts involved, and any changes in legislation or court rulings that may affect registration requirements.

Regarding the change in your registration end date from 6/27/23 to life on 6/7/23, it's important to seek legal advice from an attorney familiar with sex offender registration laws in your jurisdiction. Changes to your registration status, such as extending it to life, may be made based on factors such as the completion of your original registration period, new laws or regulations, or judicial decisions. However, whether such changes are legal and appropriate in your case requires a careful examination of the circumstances and applicable legal principles.

To understand your rights and options, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who can review the specifics of your situation and provide guidance on how to proceed. They can assess the legality of the changes to your registration status, advise you on any potential avenues for challenging the decision, and advocate on your behalf to ensure that your rights are protected. Additionally, seeking support from organizations or resources that specialize in sex offender rights and advocacy may provide additional assistance and information as you navigate this complex legal issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.