Gurnee, IL asked in Child Support for Illinois

Q: my question is can i put the biological father on child support even tho hes not on the birth certificate?

my name is Vanessa i have three kids 2 of them are from my first relationship, the 3rd from the second relationship, the father of my first relationship signed the birth certificate but he doesn't provide with his own biological kids, I wanna put both on child support for their own biological children. What steps do I need to do to acquire support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You have to sue for paternity and have DNA testing before a child support order can be established. The IL Dept. Of Health and Human Services will do this for you at no charge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.