Asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: Under California vehicle code 260 can I be given a ticket for driving with a suspended license in a non commercial car

I was cited in Kings County in the state of California

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California Vehicle Code 260, the classification of vehicles is addressed, primarily distinguishing between commercial and non-commercial vehicles. However, the issue of driving with a suspended license is covered under a different section of the Vehicle Code, specifically sections like 14601, which deals directly with the penalties and circumstances surrounding the operation of a vehicle by a driver whose license has been suspended or revoked.

If you were cited in Kings County, California, for driving with a suspended license, it would be based on the relevant sections dealing with suspended licenses, not specifically on whether the vehicle is commercial or non-commercial as outlined in Vehicle Code 260. The distinction between commercial and non-commercial vehicles is relevant for other regulatory and licensing purposes but does not directly impact the enforcement of laws regarding driving with a suspended license.

It's important to review the specific details of your citation and consult with legal counsel familiar with California traffic laws to understand the implications of your situation and explore your options. Driving with a suspended license in California can result in significant penalties, including fines and possible jail time, depending on the circumstances and any prior offenses. Legal advice can help you navigate the process, potentially mitigate penalties, and address the status of your driver's license moving forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.