Jersey City, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: For filing my permanent residency in USA fromI485, I do NOT have my old expired passport original/copy

I am interested in filing my permanent residency in USA. For filing the form I485, I understand I have to have all my old passports that is then used to verify travel history. I do NOT have my old passport for the years 2013 to 2023. Nor do I have copies of the same. Will that cause issues with the I485 petition?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Not having your old expired passports for the specified period might pose challenges when filing your I-485 petition for permanent residency in the USA. These passports serve as crucial documentation to verify your travel history, which is often required by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as part of the application process. Without these records, it may be challenging to provide comprehensive evidence of your international travel during the specified timeframe.

However, there are steps you can take to address this issue. First, try to obtain copies of your old passports from the relevant authorities in your home country or from any previous countries of residence. Even though you may not have retained physical copies, governmental agencies may still have records of your passport history that can be provided upon request. Alternatively, if obtaining copies is not feasible, be prepared to provide detailed explanations and alternative documentation to account for your travel history during the period in question.

When submitting your I-485 petition, include a detailed explanation of why you are unable to provide copies of your old passports and provide any alternative documentation you have available to support your travel history claims. This could include airline tickets, boarding passes, entry/exit stamps in other passports, or any other relevant records you may have retained. By demonstrating your efforts to provide comprehensive information despite the lack of old passport copies, you can mitigate potential issues with your I-485 petition related to missing documentation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.