Queens, NY asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for New York

Q: I'm on a woman's Shelter waiting for housing with a City Voucher. It appears the Voucher is not going to help me.

We were told we could report.Real Estates who do not accept the Voucher or ask us for money to find an apartment. Legally what can we do in this case?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In this situation, it's essential to understand your rights and the legal protections available to you as someone seeking housing assistance with a City Voucher. Firstly, you should familiarize yourself with the local housing laws and regulations that govern the acceptance of vouchers by landlords and real estate agencies. Many jurisdictions have laws that prohibit discrimination against voucher holders and require landlords to accept vouchers as a form of payment for rent.

If you encounter real estate agents or landlords who refuse to accept your voucher or ask for additional money beyond what is allowed by law, you may have grounds for legal action. Consider documenting any instances of discrimination or illegal practices, including written communication, emails, or witness accounts. You may also reach out to local housing advocacy organizations or legal aid services that specialize in tenant rights and housing discrimination for guidance and support.

Depending on the specific laws and regulations in your area, you may have the option to file a complaint with the appropriate housing authority or regulatory agency. They can investigate allegations of discrimination or unfair housing practices and take appropriate action against violators. Additionally, if you believe your rights have been violated, you may have the right to pursue legal remedies through the court system. Seeking legal advice from a qualified attorney who specializes in housing law can help you understand your options and take the necessary steps to address the situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.