Hopkinsville, KY asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: Do I need a lawyer in circuit court appeal of a general sessions judgement.

A general sessions judge allowed the defendant to claim that they did work for me (completely voluntary) and allowed it to be credited against a simple and concrete claim for damage done to my vehicle. I was not allowed to present evidence and did not receive any copies/notice/countersuit of what the defendant was claiming. I appealed. Do I need a laywer, or can I consider it a "do over" in circuit court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It sounds like you need an attorney to represent you. If the other side gets a judgment against you, they are going to try to collect it. You can probably get away with filing a Counter Claim for the property tort damages on your Appeal De Novo.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.