Queens, NY asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: As an current Green Card holder in the state of New Jersey, can my foreign DNI and Passport be expire to get Citizenship

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a current Green Card holder in New Jersey, the expiration of your foreign DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad) and Passport does not directly affect your eligibility to apply for US citizenship. However, it is essential to note that you will need to provide valid identification documents during the naturalization process. If your foreign DNI and Passport have expired, you may need to renew them or obtain alternative forms of identification before applying for citizenship.

Additionally, having expired foreign identification documents may complicate the citizenship application process and could potentially delay your application. It is generally advisable to ensure that all your identification documents, including your foreign DNI and Passport, are valid and up-to-date before initiating the naturalization process. This can help streamline the application process and minimize any potential issues or delays.

Before applying for US citizenship, it is recommended that you review the specific requirements and documentation needed for the naturalization process. You may also consider consulting with an immigration attorney or reaching out to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) for guidance on the appropriate steps to take regarding your expired foreign identification documents. By ensuring that your documentation is in order, you can proceed with your citizenship application confidently and efficiently.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.