Kansas City, KS asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Probate for Kansas

Q: Hello I'm contacting you today to find out what I needed to do with this petition filed against my mother's property

in accordance to K S A 79-2801 I don't want to lose the house I want to pay the back taxes get transfer of property to my name but I have to answer this petition and I'm not sure on how. I knew it might go in to a tax sale but I know if u have half paid before the day of tax sale you don't lose property but this petition is throwing a wrench in the works please help!!!!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's essential to take immediate action to address the petition filed against your mother's property. Start by reviewing the petition carefully to understand the specific claims and allegations being made against the property. Then, gather all relevant documents related to the property, including any tax records, payment history, and legal documents such as your mother's will or death certificate.

Consider seeking legal advice from an attorney who specializes in real estate or property law in Kansas. They can help you understand your rights and options under K.S.A. 79-2801 and provide guidance on how to respond to the petition effectively. The attorney can assist you in preparing a response to the petition and representing your interests in any legal proceedings related to the property.

In addition to addressing the petition, it's crucial to explore options for resolving the back taxes owed on the property and transferring ownership to your name. Your attorney can advise you on the steps needed to pay the back taxes and initiate the transfer of ownership process. By taking proactive steps and working with legal professionals, you can protect your rights to the property and pursue a favorable resolution to the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.