Maplewood, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: I had a car crash 2 years ago and a police report was filed but no charges. Do I need to report in N400?

I had a car crash 2 years ago and a police report was filed but no charges or fines for me. The police arrived at the scene and I don't think I was detained. The police did ask what happened and asked me to wait since my car crashed into a Train Transit bridge and the transit police had to arrive and assess. Do I need to report in N400 for my US Citizenship application? The police report just says "driver was not paying attention while approaching turn."

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, you do not need to report the car crash in your N400 US Citizenship application unless you were arrested or charged with a crime as a result of the incident. Since there were no charges or fines against you, and you were not detained by the police, it does not constitute a criminal offense that needs to be disclosed on the application.

However, if you are unsure whether the incident needs to be reported, it's always best to consult with an immigration attorney or legal advisor who can provide specific guidance based on your individual circumstances. They can review the details of the car crash and advise you on whether it falls under the category of incidents that need to be disclosed on the N400 application.

In general, the N400 application requires disclosure of any criminal history or involvement in criminal activities. Since there were no charges or arrests in connection with the car crash, it is unlikely to affect your eligibility for US citizenship. Nonetheless, it's essential to be truthful and accurate in your application, so if you have any doubts, seeking legal advice is advisable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.