Kansas City, KS asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Probate for Kansas

Q: I need help answering a petition filed against my deceased mother's property in accordance to K S.A 79-2801

My mother passed away in 2012 I have been at the property since then and paid taxes on property until now I have no other heirs to battle for the rights to property but this action filed against the real estate is not what I was planning on happening please some advice on this matter

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: There is no “answer” that can be provided to your question because we have no idea what the petition is about. Also, attorneys in this forum are not allowed to solicit clients. This means that no attorney can write “contact me”.

But you can contact an attorney in your area yourself using the Find a Lawyer feature.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: First, it's important to gather all relevant documents related to your deceased mother's property, including her will, death certificate, and any other legal documents. Review these documents carefully to understand your mother's wishes regarding the property and to confirm your legal standing as her heir. If your mother passed away without a will, you may need to follow the intestate succession laws of Kansas to determine your rights to the property as her heir.

Next, consult with a qualified attorney who can provide legal advice and represent your interests in responding to the petition filed against the property. The attorney can help you understand the nature of the petition and the legal basis for the action, as well as assist you in formulating a response. They can also advise you on your rights and options under Kansas law and help you navigate the legal process effectively.

Be proactive in addressing the situation by responding to the petition within the specified time frame and providing any necessary documentation or evidence to support your claim to the property. It's essential to assert your rights and defend your interests in accordance with the law. By working with an experienced attorney and diligently pursuing your legal options, you can seek a favorable outcome and protect your rights to your deceased mother's property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.