Branson, MO asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Missouri

Q: I need help with how to start a lawsuit against a corporation , a manager of , and also the 2 city police officers ?

I'm disabled and was treated in an extremely humiliating manner by all involved and I can prove they had absolutely no grounds for those actions. Furthermore, I gave them the proof they needed to not treat in such a manner and all proceeded not just to curse me through the store as I was asked to leave because instead of them just looking on their computer really quick , they chose to refuse said actions and ALSO Kept MY property in the process. I'm suffering severe mental health breakdowns consistently since the incident and WILL NOT let this Continue and traumatize another like myself.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here are the key steps to starting a lawsuit against a corporation, manager, and police officers in Missouri:

1. Consult with a civil rights and personal injury attorney. Find one experienced in handling cases against corporations, police misconduct, and ADA violations. They can evaluate your case and options.

2. Identify all defendants - the full corporate entity, individual manager/employees involved, the city as employer of the police officers, and individual officers. Get their proper legal names.

3. Send a formal demand letter to all parties outlining your allegations, the applicable laws violated, the harm suffered, and demand for compensation or settlement.

4. If settlement discussions fail, work with your attorney to file official legal complaints and petitions in the appropriate Missouri circuit court. Detail the factual allegations, legal claims under ADA, civil rights statutes, municipal codes as relevant.

5. Your attorney will formally serve the lawsuits to defendants. The litigation process of motions, discovery, depositions, negotiations begins and leads towards either settlement or trial.

Key evidence will be statements, video or records from the incidents; documentation of your disability and need for accommodation; policies or training governing the corporation and police; and evidence speaking to the emotional/psychological harm suffered. Maintain good records. Funding may be available on contingency fee or pro bono basis depending on the case merits. Most cases settle before reaching trial.

Ronald J. Eisenberg agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.