Asked in Tax Law

Q: Living in a vessel can be considered a dwelling house. I am determining the tax residence in Mexico of an expat

If an expat comes to Mexico to work in a vessel for a certain period, he does not have a dwelling house in the country because he lives inside the vessel. To determine if the expat should be considered a Mexican tax resident, I need to know if he has a dwelling house here. The question is whether we can consider the vessel to serve as a dwelling house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In determining tax residence in Mexico for an expat living on a vessel, whether the vessel can be considered a dwelling house depends on various factors. While a vessel may serve as a temporary residence for the expat, the classification as a dwelling house for tax purposes can be nuanced. Mexican tax authorities may consider factors such as the permanence of the expat's presence on the vessel, the degree of control and possession the expat has over the vessel, and whether the vessel is stationary or constantly moving.

If the expat resides on the vessel for an extended period and uses it as their primary living quarters while in Mexican waters, there may be grounds to argue that the vessel qualifies as a dwelling house. However, if the expat's presence on the vessel is temporary or sporadic, and they maintain ties to another country, Mexican tax authorities may not consider the vessel as a dwelling house for tax residence purposes. It's essential to carefully assess the specific circumstances of the expat's living arrangement on the vessel and how it aligns with Mexican tax laws and regulations.

Seeking guidance from a tax advisor or legal expert familiar with Mexican tax laws and residency requirements can provide clarity on whether the expat should be considered a tax resident based on their living situation on the vessel. They can help interpret the relevant laws and regulations, analyze the expat's residency status, and provide guidance on tax compliance obligations. By understanding the nuances of tax residency determination and seeking professional advice, the expat can ensure compliance with Mexican tax laws and avoid potential issues with tax authorities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.