Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Tax Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Florida on

Q: I purchased a home in hernando beach, fl on sept 28, 2018. I paid 20% of the total price and paid cash......

I now wish to dissolve this partnership. we have an outstanding property tax bill since we paid cash. the 80% owner now wants me to pay 50% instead of my vested 20%. she also wants me to pay 50% of the cost associated with the sell of the property, again instead of my fully vested 20%. we have no... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 24, 2019

A deed doesn't create a partnership; it creates a tenancy-in-common. If you cannot agree on how to split the proceeds or the expenses, you probably need to sue for "partition".

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Florida on

Q: I own 20% of a home in I responsible of only 20% of the property taxes? the 80% owner says I owe half.

Seril L Grossfeld answered on Aug 21, 2019

Well that depends. Did you and other owner(s) have an agreement when you bought the place and it was determined that your percentage was 20% of the ownership interest as to how to divide other expenses or attributes of ownership of the property. Partnerships can be someone complicated and even... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Tax Law and Business Law for Iowa on

Q: What is the least expensive way to buy into an LLC with regard to Iowa and federal tax cost?

Father and two siblings put farm into LLC (split 50/25/25). One of the siblings is going to nursing home and selling their membership units (25%). An agreed price has been established for units. Should the LLC buy the seller's units and then sell them to me? OR Should I buy into the LLC first? What... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 20, 2019

You need to hire a professional. There's a few things in your question that are not correct in regards to how an LLC functions. You're going to need more detailed advice than should be given through this forum.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Tax Law for New Jersey on

Q: Can i sue my father for threatening my mother to give her income tax returns to him

I was living with my mother at the time this happened but i was getting my things to live with my father, and this was recently in late April. I just recently found out from my mother that she was threatened for the dependent tax return money, she did not know she had a right to keep it. My father... Read more »

Teresa L. Reichek answered on Aug 20, 2019

Thank you for your question. I'm sure it is frustrating to watch your mother go through this. The short answer is No. You do not have standing to sue a third party, your mother is the one who will be potentially injured. Also, suing someone is typically for personal injury cases.

If your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Tax Law for Wyoming on

Q: What is the effective difference between a C-Corp and an LLC taxed as a C-Corp?

I am from the UK and looking to setup a US business. I've decided that taxation as a C-Corp is best as I am looking to build capital and retain profits in the company so a pass-through entity is not ideal. I understand that as a C-Corp, things are more formal and decisions require minuted... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 19, 2019

For tax there is no difference. For state business compliance issues a Corporation has slightly more things that have to be done to maintain the corporate veil. Annual meetings are required where an LLC can waive them you have to set a par value for shares and report the number of shares issued... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Florida on

Q: Taxi driver 12,000.00 net yearly income. Considered self employed. Irs says 1,200.00 tax yearly sound correct.

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 17, 2019

No, it doesn't. Look it up in the tax tables. Did you fail to file a tax return?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Texas on

Q: Can The reason for protest from over market value to unequal & uniform before the arb hearing & after protest deadline?

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 16, 2019

Please read the above and repost your question.

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Illinois on

Q: Vacant lot next door shares my postal address and that lot is being sold for back taxes.

The vacant lot is delinquent on its property taxes for many years and is being sold by Lake County, Illinois. Because the postal address is the same as my house in which my daughter and grand children reside, the sheriff arrived at 4:30 AM at my house to serve papers and dozens of certified... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 16, 2019

Hire an attorney. It's probably an issue with the deed or the filings.

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Tax Law, Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for New York on

Q: My husband has been hiding income, rationing me for years, and has cut me off financially several times.

He also gaslights me, takes/hides my belongings, tracks my cell phone history (account is under his father’s. I have no access), has told me several times (during/post cancer) he wishes I would die, and is constantly creating financial hardship by spending large amounts of money on various... Read more »

Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Aug 16, 2019

Based upon what you have said, you would have grounds on the basis of fault. However, there is no need to go that route anymore. New York enacted "No Fault" divorce several years ago. All that is necessary to be alleged is that there is an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage for 6 months or... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Traffic Tickets for Texas on

Q: What happens if i didn’t tell the Tax office that i got a ticket on the day i was getting my registration renewed?

I passed my state inspection and was on my way to the tax office when i was stopped by the police officer.

Grant St Julian III answered on Aug 15, 2019

You will not be entitled to the compliance fee dismissal on the citation since you did not pay the late fee (of about $8) for the registration.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Child Support for Oklahoma on

Q: DHS is holding my back child support collected thru tax off set. He did not file a joint return but claimed his step kid

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 14, 2019

Did you have a question or just wanted us to know?

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Collections for California on

Q: I cancelled an inactive LLC but still have back-tax/penalty notices coming in. What can happen/what is my best recourse?

The notices were going to a location where I do not live (went to my ex-partner's parents house), and I just got my hands on the notices that say we owe thousands. This LLC was only active for a few years, as a production-company shooting a series, and unfortunately, the entity wasn't cancelled in... Read more »

David S. Greenberg answered on Aug 14, 2019

It is quite possible that you will be insulated from personal liability for the tax obligations of the LLC.

If you would like to discuss this in detail, please call my office to schedule a free initial consultation.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Alabama on

Q: Someone bought my mothers home at state sale for 2014 taxs i was served papers letting me know

i had no cule that it was even being sold but now i have all these papers i dont under stand trying to get help with understanding them

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 14, 2019

You should find a local attorney and setup an appointment ASAP if you're interested in paying the tax that was owed and recovering the property. You have a limited period of time to do this. If you can't pay the tax then there's not really anything to do unless the rules regarding the procedures... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on

Q: Eugene OR - payroll tax passed by City Council. Non-residents (can't vote for or against) subject to tax. Is that legal?

Seems like taxation without representation to this layperson.

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 14, 2019

It certainly can feel that way, the problem is that there is no right to representation before being taxed. That was a revolutionary slogan. If you drive through a random city and get gas you're paying gas tax without representation or sales tax or excise tax, etc... Washington DC has been taxed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Colorado on

Q: Receiving car from Charity and taxes

I have a client who was given an $80,000 car from a charitable organization. Will she have to pay taxes on it?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 14, 2019


2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Texas on

Q: Does a green card holder have to file taxes even if they make below the poverty threshold?

In this scenario, a U.S. citizen taxpayer would not be required to file because they earn less than the threshold stipulated by IRS.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 13, 2019

The last I heard, in America everyone who has any income from any source is required to file an income tax return--regardless of the amount of income. Why? Because if the IRS left it to taxpayers to decide whether they had earned enough to have to file a return, no one would ever file.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: Do I need to pay taxes on a $265 settlement from the results a AP&G class action suit?

The check is made out to my now closed LLC.

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 13, 2019

You'll have to review the settlement documents to see what the settlement was for. Some items are taxed and some are not.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Tax Law and Legal Malpractice for Alabama on

Q: I have received a letter from the State of Alabama Dept of Revenuel Notice of Preliminary Assessment for the year 2010.

Received a letter when I filed these taxes that I had filed to late to receive a return. Filed through Liberty tax service who did not file 2013 taxes till 2017. Don't understand what is going on or what to do, Can you help

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 13, 2019

You only have a certain period of time to file a return claiming a refund or else you forfeit the refund. It sounds like you filed a return too late to claim the refund and the state tax department is notifying you of that. There's nothing you can do about the refund. You may have recourse against... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Pennsylvania on

Q: My grandmother died and left her land to her children they have not paid land tax for 5 years do I have rights if I pay

The land was willed to her children who are not paying the land is still in my grandmothers name

Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Aug 12, 2019

No. If you are not one of her children you do not have any rights.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.