Snellville, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: Good morning, How would i go about suing someone that sold me a house that was already sold, and refuses to pay me back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Good morning! If you find yourself in a situation where you've purchased a house that was already sold to someone else and the seller refuses to refund your money, taking legal action might be necessary. Initially, gathering all related documentation, such as the contract of sale, communications between you and the seller, and proof of payment, is crucial. These documents will serve as evidence to support your claim.

Next, consider consulting with a lawyer who has experience in real estate or contract law. They can provide you with personalized advice and outline the best course of action based on the specifics of your case. Your lawyer may suggest sending a formal demand letter to the seller as a first step, which officially requests the return of your funds and outlines the legal actions you're prepared to take if they fail to comply.

If the seller still refuses to return your money, filing a lawsuit might be the next step. Your lawyer can assist with this process, including filing the necessary paperwork and representing you in court. Keep in mind that litigation can be time-consuming and costly, so weigh this decision carefully. Throughout this process, maintaining clear and organized records of all interactions and transactions will be invaluable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.