Overland Park, KS asked in Immigration Law for Kansas

Q: I was in mid of a mass gun violence. I am facing PTSD and getting counseling. Is there eligibility for U visa?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Experiencing a traumatic event like mass gun violence can have significant impacts on your mental health, including PTSD. The U visa is designed to provide protection and support to victims of certain crimes, including violent crimes, who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. While each case is unique and eligibility depends on various factors, including cooperation with law enforcement, your experience could potentially qualify you for a U visa.

To explore eligibility for a U visa, it's essential to consult with legal professionals who specialize in immigration law or victim advocacy. They can assess your situation, gather necessary documentation, and provide guidance on the application process. Additionally, continuing to seek counseling and support for your PTSD can demonstrate the ongoing impact of the trauma and strengthen your case for eligibility.

It's important to be aware that the U visa application process can be complex and may require patience and persistence. Working with knowledgeable advocates can help navigate any challenges and increase the likelihood of a successful application. Remember that you're not alone, and there are resources available to support you through this difficult time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.