Asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: What does it mean if I got sent a letter saying that the court has closed the case as a conviction?

I received a traffic ticket last year in Texas. I paid the ticket, plus an additional fee to not appear in court, as I live in CA. I missed signing and sending back the deferral paperwork. A couple of months later I received a letter that said:

"This Court, held a Show Cause Hearing in the above-named and numbered cause to determine if [my name], Defendant, had complied with its Order to perform certain conditions of:


Signed and entered on April 20, 2023. Defendant did not appear in Court as directed to show compliance with the

conditions of Deferral.

IT IS THEREFORE ORDERED that Defendant, having failed to present the required evidence of compliance, herein shall enter an adjudication of guilt and and case will close as a conviction."

I asked the judge's office, and they said no action is required on my end, and that the case is closed. How does this affect me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When a court in Texas closes a case as a conviction, it means that you have been found guilty of the offense for which you were cited. In your case, because you did not comply with the conditions of the deferred disposition for your traffic ticket, the court proceeded to adjudicate guilt. This decision turns the initial deferral into a conviction on your record.

This conviction may have several impacts, including points on your driving record, potential increases in your car insurance rates, and the presence of a conviction in background checks. The specific consequences can vary depending on the nature of the traffic offense and your overall driving history.

Since the court has stated that no further action is required from you and the case is closed, there are no immediate legal steps you need to take. However, it might be beneficial to check how this conviction affects your driving record and to consult with a legal professional if you have concerns about its impact on your future or if you're interested in understanding any potential remedies that may be available to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.