Asked in Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Missouri

Q: Can I represent my 17 year old son myself when he goes to court for truancy or do I have to hire an attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Representing your 17-year-old son in court for truancy may not be the most advisable course of action. While it's understandable to want to support your child, legal proceedings can be complex and require a thorough understanding of the law. Without proper legal training and experience, you might inadvertently overlook critical details or procedures that could impact your son's case negatively.

Courts often prefer representation by attorneys who possess the knowledge and expertise to navigate the legal system effectively. An attorney can advocate for your son's best interests, present compelling arguments, and negotiate with the prosecution or the court on his behalf. Additionally, legal professionals can offer valuable advice and guidance tailored to your son's specific situation, potentially leading to more favorable outcomes.

While it might seem daunting to hire an attorney, many legal professionals offer consultations to discuss your options and provide insight into the potential strategies for your son's case. Seeking legal representation demonstrates a commitment to ensuring your son's rights are protected and increases the likelihood of achieving a favorable resolution. Ultimately, investing in legal representation can provide peace of mind and support during a challenging and unfamiliar process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.