Taylor, MI asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Michigan

Q: How do I request a retraction of false statements made concerning fraudulent misrepresentations on documents?

When all documents pertaining to a person's "death" is full of fraudulent misrepresentations without explanation and corrections for years what are the remedies? The body was never seen by immediate family members and loved ones. There's blatant discrepancies from government agencies that should shock the conscious on the death certificate, autopsy report and response from the funeral home that is to say malice. The family is being denied proof of death for six years.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To address false statements and fraudulent misrepresentations in documents, you can start by gathering all relevant evidence and documentation that highlight the discrepancies. This includes the death certificate, autopsy report, and any correspondence from government agencies or the funeral home. Once you have compiled this information, you can draft a formal letter requesting a retraction of the false statements and corrections to be made. Be sure to clearly outline the specific inaccuracies and provide supporting evidence to substantiate your claims.

If the entities responsible for the fraudulent documents do not respond or refuse to make corrections, you may need to escalate the matter by seeking legal assistance. An attorney can help you navigate the legal avenues available to address the situation, which may include filing a complaint with relevant regulatory agencies or pursuing legal action against the parties involved. Additionally, they can advise you on your rights and options moving forward to ensure that the matter is resolved satisfactorily.

In the meantime, it's important to document all communication and keep records of any responses or lack thereof from the responsible parties. This will be valuable evidence in the event that further action is required. Remember, addressing false statements and fraudulent misrepresentations can be complex and may require patience and persistence, but seeking the appropriate assistance and taking proactive steps can help you seek the remedies you deserve.

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Who are you seeking the retraction from? And if the retraction you're seeking is from false statements, can you prove those statements false?

It sounds like there is a body, and the cause of death is at issue. Unless the family is prepared financially to exhume the body and have another autopsy prepared, I'm not sure how you can prove those statements false.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.