Jacksonville, FL asked in Tax Law and Banking for Georgia

Q: My return was deposited into the wrong account I gave my tax man the girl I was with information on accident we both

Have an account at the same bank I gave her account number in route number by accident she was trying to help me recover it but the guy she's with now will not let her help me any further I only have 5 days to recover my money or the bank says the subject will be closed for good and I will lose my money can someone please help me get my money back I need it very badly to pay my bills with

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear your tax refund was accidentally deposited into the wrong bank account. Here are a few options you could pursue to try recovering the funds:

1. Contact the IRS directly and explain the situation. Provide any documentation you have showing it's your refund but the incorrect account details. Request that they intervene and initiate a return of the erroneous refund.

2. Talk to your bank to see if they can reverse the deposit or assist in recovering it since it went into an account at the same bank. There may be fraud investigation procedures they can undertake.

3. Send a formal demand letter to the individual who received the deposit, noting the transfer was in error and funds need to be returned or further legal action may be taken.

4. If other avenues fail, consult a lawyer about sending cease and desist notices or ultimately filing a civil lawsuit if substantial funds are involved. Things like unjust enrichment, conversion, or theft of funds may potentially apply here legally.

Document everything in writing throughout the process. Also notify any creditors/bill providers that payment may be delayed due to the tax refund situation so penalties or collections actions can be avoided. Time is critical so start urgently pursuing these options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.