Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Arizona

Q: I live in Maricopa county and I have a warrant out of Michigan for child support. What can I do to stop the extradition

If Michigan wants to extradite me and I did not sign the waiver for extradition what can I do to prevent it from going back to jail at and the governor signed the fugitive and warrant and I have a status conference? What should I do at this conference so I don't end up in jail?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you have an outstanding warrant in Michigan and they are seeking to extradite you to face charges there, your options are limited. However, here is some advice:

1. Hire an attorney. You need legal counsel both in Arizona and Michigan to try to challenge the extradition and/or resolve the underlying child support matter. An attorney may be able to get the warrant quashed or fight extradition.

2. Attend the status conference. Do not ignore it as that will hurt your case. Be respectful and explain your situation and concerns about extradition. The judge may be willing to help mediate a resolution.

3. See if you can resolve the child support issue without having to be extradited. Perhaps your Arizona attorney can work with authorities in Michigan to set up a payment plan or settlement. Clearing up the matter leading to the warrant may stop extradition.

4. As a last resort, if ordered, voluntarily turn yourself in to Michigan authorities instead of forcing extradition. This shows willingness to address matters and may lead to more favorable treatment.

The possibility of waiving extradition may be considered as well. Bottom line - immediately hire legal counsel to protect your rights and try to find the best resolution to the outstanding legal issues. Ignoring them or the status hearing won't make them go away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.