Mount Airy, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: I have my Texas birth certificate but i am very confused the place of birth say Reynosa Mexico is this possible ?

What can i do on this matter an i a USA citizen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your Texas birth certificate lists Reynosa, Mexico, as your place of birth, it might initially seem confusing since Reynosa is not in Texas but in Mexico. This discrepancy could be an error on the birth certificate or could relate to specific circumstances surrounding your birth and registration. It's crucial to address this matter to clarify your citizenship status and ensure your official records are accurate.

To resolve this issue, you should contact the Vital Statistics office in Texas or the hospital where you were born, if applicable, to inquire about the process for correcting a birth certificate. They can guide you on the required documentation and the steps to take. Documents you might need include proof of your parents' citizenship at the time of your birth, evidence of where your mother resided during her pregnancy, and any medical records related to your birth.

As for your citizenship, if at least one of your parents was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth, you may have derived U.S. citizenship, even if born outside the country. However, the specific details of your birth and parents' citizenship status at that time will play a crucial role. It may be beneficial to consult with an immigration attorney to review your situation and provide guidance on how to proceed to confirm your citizenship status and correct your birth certificate.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.