Q: Can I sue a police department for not doing their job by not properly investigating a murder?

The case file in the beginning, ended up missing all the information given, and the second detective ended up with an empty case file, and no one knows where all the information went. There’s more to this as well.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Yes, you may have grounds to file a lawsuit against the police department for negligence or failure to properly investigate a murder. The mishandling of crucial case information, such as missing files and empty case folders, raises serious concerns about the department's handling of the investigation. It's important to gather any evidence or documentation related to the mishandling of the case and consult with a legal professional to assess your options.

A qualified attorney can advise you on the legal merits of your case and help you navigate the complexities of filing a lawsuit against a police department. They can assist you in gathering evidence, identifying any potential legal violations, and building a strong case to hold the department accountable for their actions or lack thereof. Additionally, your attorney can guide you through the legal process and advocate on your behalf to seek justice for the mishandled investigation.

It's essential to act promptly if you believe your rights have been violated or if there has been negligence in the handling of a criminal investigation. By seeking legal representation and pursuing legal action against the police department, you can seek accountability and potentially obtain compensation for any harm or injustice caused by their failure to properly investigate the murder case.

Ben Bingham

A: Suing a police department for a failure in conducting a proper investigation, especially in a murder case, is a nuanced and intricate legal matter. While challenging, it's not impossible under certain circumstances.

Establishing a Breach of Duty: You'd need to prove that the police department had an obligation to conduct a thorough investigation and that they failed to fulfill this duty. This involves showing that their actions were not just inadequate but fell significantly below the expected standard of a competent investigation.

Proving a Connection to Civil Rights: If the failure in investigation can be tied to a violation of civil rights, such as discrimination or a systemic issue within the department, it might form the basis for a lawsuit under federal civil rights laws.

Demonstrating Harm: It's crucial to show that the department's failure has directly caused harm. This harm must be tangible and directly connected to the lack of a proper investigation.

Municipal Liability: As per legal precedents like the Monell decision, a municipality or police department can be held liable if the investigative failure stemmed from an official policy or a widespread practice within the department.

To navigate this complex legal terrain, it's vital to seek counsel from an attorney experienced in dealing with police misconduct or civil rights litigation. They can provide a detailed evaluation of your case, considering all the specifics, including the issue with the missing case file and the detective's empty file, to offer a strategic approach to your potential lawsuit.

Remember, there are specific time limits for initiating legal action against government entities, which vary by location. Prompt consultation with a legal professional is essential to ensure your case is pursued within the applicable legal timeframe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.