Cocoa, FL asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Florida

Q: If my legal name is Billy, can I name my business Billy The Kid - Home Repair& Restoration?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Choosing a business name is a significant step in establishing your brand and presence in the market. Using your legal name, Billy, as part of your business name, such as "Billy The Kid - Home Repair & Restoration," is generally permissible. However, it's essential to consider a few legal and practical aspects before finalizing your business name.

Firstly, you should check if the name is available and not already in use or trademarked by another business, especially in the same industry. This is crucial to avoid potential legal issues or confusion in the market. You can typically conduct this research through your country's intellectual property office or a similar entity.

Moreover, while your proposed name creatively incorporates your legal name, be mindful of any historical or cultural connotations associated with the phrase "Billy The Kid," which may influence public perception. Ultimately, the goal is to choose a name that positively reflects your business's identity and values. It might also be wise to consult with a legal professional to ensure your chosen business name complies with local laws and regulations, including any trademark considerations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.