Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Florida Copyright Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Florida on
Q: I registered a copyright for my book using my full name. Can I use my initials and my last name in print instead?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Sep 4, 2021

Probably. You are probably confusing copyright with trademark.

You can use your name pretty much anyway you want

You need to consult an attorney

4 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Florida on
Q: I have a display patent from 1993 I'd like to know if there's some way I can update it ?
Stephen E. Zweig
Stephen E. Zweig answered on Aug 25, 2021

Sadly no. Patents typically have a maximum lifetime of about 20 years from the filing date. Although this can be adjusted a bit for delays at the USPTO, usually, the adjustments are only for a few months or years.

A 1993 patent era patent is likely long expired, is probably public...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for Florida on
Q: Hello. Can I use the name "Mortal Kombat", without using any of the franchise's designs or font?

I am simply using the name for a recreational adult softball team. I do not have any copyrighted designs or logos, but I just want to know if using the phrase alone is illegal, if I put it on a jersey.

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Aug 24, 2021

Yes, you can use text only as trademark.

4 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Business Law, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Florida on
Q: Do I need a licensing/trademark specialized lawyer?

I'd like to open a DC comics-themed restaurant, do I need to buy a license from them, even though most of the characters are not listed for Hotels and Restaurants?

Adam Ira Skolnik
Adam Ira Skolnik answered on Jul 17, 2021

Yes, as well as corporate and possibly tax. The characters, likeness and their use are currently owned by DC Entertainment which is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers etc..

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Copyright and Legal Malpractice for Florida on
Q: What does B.A.R mean? Lawyers are members, what does it mean? Why are you a member? I was told it is British!?

I need clarification, this site is called ask a lawyer, not ask google, what are you hiding or is that a part of the b.a.r (secret)?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jul 7, 2021

Did you try google?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Copyright for Florida on
Q: Is a tweet (words or phrases, not pictures) public domain or does ownership automatically attach to the one who posts?

For instance a popular tweet such as a post by someone called @geraldinreverse: "well, well, well, if it isn't the consequenses of my own actions."

It got almost 300K likes and 140K retweets.

Is that phrase owned by @geraldinreverse or can I print that phrase on a shirt and sell it?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jun 2, 2021


Consult with an attorney

You are referring to copyright

There are requirements related to copyrights such as innovation and creativity, and also the scope or size of creation

It is likely that what you indicated does not fall under copyright, maybe under...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright for Florida on
Q: Good morning. I have a company Mabruk Fusion Foods and the owner of Mabruk Mediterranean Food Says I Can't Use it. Why?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 20, 2021

Probably because they think it's an infringement on their right to their trade name. Why don't you ask them?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Florida on
Q: If I put an image of rick and morty on a shirt for school prerallies, is it copyright.
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on May 18, 2021

Yes it is

And you are violating it and they can sue you

If you want to show that image, buy a licensed shirt

consult with an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for Florida on
Q: Can I use “Lucky 13” in clothing prints

I was thinking of using the words “lucky 13” for some clothing designs and just wanted to be sure not to step on anyone’s toes by doing that.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on May 16, 2021

You need to consult with an attorney and search for potential of conflict

Best luck


Q: If there was a youtuber whom read poetry from other poets and got paid for it, could he/she be sued?

They aren't passing off the content (poems) as their own. They are just reading it in a ASMR fashion to make money.

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on May 4, 2021

What is copyright infringement? As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner. Since you use the poem in a way that you are making... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Public Benefits and Social Security for Florida on
Q: Can I sue my lawyer for "withdrawal is failure to cooperate in good faith?"

I have been working with my lawyer for 1.5 years, and just as my disability retirement case is in the final stages (which looks like it won't be a winner), they decided to withdraw as my lawyer because they say I am not cooperating in good faith. Basically, the lawyer wanted me to submit my... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Apr 5, 2021

I’m sorry you had a negative experience with your attorney. Hire another attorney to handle your disability case if you don’t want to represent yourself. The issues with the forms from the doctor may have caused a problem with your case or it could be a the whole set of records don’t support... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Florida on
Q: Is there someplace in Fl. that I can get my lyrics copyrighted or do I need to do it online? If online, where do I turn?
Anthony Santangelo
Anthony Santangelo answered on Feb 24, 2021

Hi There!! A copyright is technically created the moment artistic expression is reduced to a fixed medium. To register your copyright see the government site which is very informative.

Good Luck!!

Q: Can I file for a patent to improve a product on the market?
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Feb 6, 2021

Yes you can. However, depending on whether your improved product falls within the original patent you may need a license to the original patent to sell a product. If your improvement is a kit to upgrade the original product then you may be ok. Lots of details and nuances. Best bet is to talk... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Florida on
Q: What ways are there to have custom container holdings a persons feet that can be inserted in between 2layers of silicone

I want to be able to have a pocket for each foot to fit into (like a shoe) made of a silicone material that can fit in between 2 layers of silicone that looks and works like a Mermaid tail. Such as a mono fin or Flippers that are connected and require a swimmer to use both feet at once, unlike... Read more »

Liliana Di Nola-Baron
Liliana Di Nola-Baron answered on Jan 9, 2021

I suppose you are asking whether you can get a patent for your product or conversely, whether your product could potentially infringe another patented product. A patent attorney can do a patentability search on your product and review patented products to provide you with an opinion on both these... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Trademark for Florida on
Q: How can I renew a trademark that expired on July 2020?

Reef Chicks is registered to an ex co-owner of the company. I need to renew the trademark and have the owner name changed.

Bernard Samuel Klosowski
Bernard Samuel Klosowski answered on Dec 1, 2020

A petition to revive an abandoned registration might be an option, but there are time limits involved. A revival petition must be filed no later than 2 mos. after the expiration notice (so that seems to have been September based on your July date). But if the registrant didn't receive the... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for Florida on
Q: Can I copyright the word “Désirée” for music entertainment purposes?

Can I use a group name and copyright it for entertainment purposes?

Evelyn Suero
Evelyn Suero answered on Nov 20, 2020

Names that are used to identify the source of goods or services, such as a group providing entertainment services, may be registered as trademarks. This is different from registering literary or musical works for copyright protection. Consult with a trademark attorney for more information.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for Florida on
Q: Are FDA medication guides and manufacturer pamphlets copyrighted?

Rx and OTC drugs come with monographs, medication guides and manufacturer pamphlets and I would like to know if one can reference their data without worrying about copyright laws. For example, ican someone make a database that customers pay a fee to join that summarizes the critical data from... Read more »

Allison Higgins
Allison Higgins answered on Nov 19, 2020

Yes, the guides and pamphlets are protected by copyright laws. However, you may still be able to create the database you are talking about without running into copyright issues. It would depend on how much of the information you used, whether you cite your sources correctly, and whether you use any... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Products Liability and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Florida on
Q: How much does it cost to review a product we are producing for a client's promotional gift to avoid patent violation?
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Nov 13, 2020

The costs vary but it can be expensive. This is called a freedom-to-operate or clearance opinion.

See ==

The first step is that a freedom-to-operate search needs to be done for issued patents that have...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Copyright and Business Law for Florida on
Q: Is it true that I don't need permission to use a song in my streaming service if it's free (and I make money from ads)

I'm starting a small music streaming service. And one of the bands I was talking to said that they do not own the licenses to their music. But would like to be on the platform. They mentioned to me that, to use their music, I do not have to pay royalties, so long as the platform is free, as... Read more »

Allison Higgins
Allison Higgins answered on Nov 12, 2020

This sounds like a situation where you will need to hire a lawyer. There are a lot of moving parts that need to be parsed out. You may want to look into getting a blanket license like many radio stations have.

Look into hiring a copyright lawyer that has experience with musicians and...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Products Liability, Business Formation and Trademark for Florida on
Q: Could I use a trademark name that's been abandoned since 1-8-2018?

I want to name my company " viva la vixen" but I see another company has that as their trademark name and name of their company. however the status is showing as abandoned, what do I do

Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert answered on Sep 21, 2020

If this is in Florida you apply for the name once the company has been administratively dissolved for 1 year. If you are not sure what to do you should get an attorney to help you with this process. The old company is able to reinstate their name for a fee and the late filing penalty, but not after... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.