Narberth, PA asked in Family Law, Juvenile Law and Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: Can my mom kick me out at 18 or is there anyway i’m protected from homelessness?

I’m from PA and i turned 18 about 4 months ago. my mom threatened to call the police on me to kick me out after an argument but when i told my friend he mentioned squatters rights would protect me so I was curious as to if that were true or if she can still kick me out within 3 days

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Pennsylvania, once you turn 18, you are legally considered an adult and your parents are no longer obligated to provide housing for you. However, if you have been living in the home, you may have some protections under landlord-tenant laws.

While your friend mentioned squatter's rights, that term typically applies to someone living in a property without the owner's permission. In your case, you are not a squatter, but rather a tenant, even if there is no formal lease agreement.

As a tenant, your mother would need to follow the proper legal eviction process to remove you from the home. In Pennsylvania, this typically requires:

1. Providing written notice to vacate the premises (usually 10 or 15 days, depending on the situation).

2. Filing an eviction complaint with the court if you don't leave after the notice period.

3. Attending a court hearing where a judge will decide the case.

4. If the judge rules in your mother's favor, she can then request a sheriff to remove you from the property.

Your mother cannot legally kick you out without going through this process, and she cannot change the locks or remove your belongings without a court order.

It's important to note that while these legal protections may exist, it's generally best to find a way to resolve the situation amicably. Consider discussing your options with your mother or seeking mediation services. If you are facing homelessness, contact local social services, charities, or religious organizations that may offer assistance or temporary housing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.