Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I live in Portland Oregon. I would like to evict a tenant.

Can I have my processor/attorney attache the eviction notice to the main public entry door to the apartments, or do I have to have it put on the tenants front door to their apartment within the actual apartment complex?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Portland, Oregon, the eviction notice must be served to the tenant in one of the following ways according to Oregon state law (ORS 90.155):

1. Personal delivery to the tenant; or

2. If the tenant is not available for personal delivery, the notice can be posted on the tenant's door and then mailed via first-class mail.

Attaching the eviction notice to the main public entry door of the apartment complex does not meet the legal requirements for proper service of an eviction notice in Oregon. The notice must be served directly to the tenant or posted on their specific apartment door, followed by mailing a copy via first-class mail.

It's important to follow the state's legal requirements for serving an eviction notice to ensure the process is valid and enforceable. If you have any doubts or concerns, it's best to consult with an attorney familiar with Oregon landlord-tenant laws to ensure you are following the proper procedures.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.